The “90-9-1” Rule states:
In most online communities, 90% of users are lurkers who never contribute, 9% of users contribute a little, and 1% of users account for almost all the action.
One of our goals with Ninja Post is to achieve a more equitable participation distribution in online communities. To combat this phenomenon, known as “participation inequality” we have made the following items cornerstones of Ninja Post software:
- Make it fast and easy to sign up.
- Make the site fast and responsive.
- Send email alerts when one a user’s thread is updated to draw users back to the site.
- Allow users to vote a post up or down as a way to get involved without having to compose a reply.
- Reward and recognize users for their contributions.